In these uncertain times when the climate is changing fast, hurricanes, floods and other natural calamities are becoming more and more frequent. Whereas a clear pattern is now emerging between the unchecked uses of natural resources that is causing global warming etc., it is still not completely in ones hands to avoid these kinds of disasters and emergency situations. Although there can be various natural disasters that can cause extensive damage to lives and property, flooding is one situation that can completely cripple public service infrastructure and cause severe damage to property and people.
Obviously it is not always possible to make oneself completely foolproof of such natural calamities, it does make a lot of sense to take a few precautions so as to minimize the effects of flooding on individual households so that the repairs that are undertaken are more effective and the damages done can be restored quickly.
- Evaluate the flood risk: First off, the demographics of the world are continuously changing. Add to it the rampant urbansation and newer public projects, along with receding water levels; many areas that were not flood prone earlier are becoming so. It is a good idea to evaluate the flood risk to your house. Many cities and corporations have floodplain management offices that can provide information and advance warnings about anticipated flooding situations. Many communities also have well laid out flood maps. All these can prove to be an invaluable resource for flood planning and also evaluate and estimate the repair costs and requirements. It is extremely important to be aware of the emergency helplines and the emergency evacuation plans etc. of your house in the event of a flooding situation and this should be the top priority for allhomeowners living in flood prone localities and areas.
- Check the sump pump and make it ready: In most flood prone areas most household have sump pumps that can be used to take out the accumulated water in the basement and the low lying areas of the house such as gardens and swimming pools etc. It is important to keep the sump pump ready and to undertake any repair that is required towards keeping those in battle ready mode. In extremely flood prone areas a submersible pump should also be considered having. The discharge of the sump pump water should also be planned since in many cities it is not legal to discharge the sump pump water in the city’s drainage system .All in all a proper water evacuation plan should be there so as to quickly restore the functioning of the house post flooding.
- Plan the sewer backup: Although most modern households have systems that does not allow the accumulation of the sewerage water into the household lines, it is still important to make arrangements so that the sever water does not enter the households due to a clogged drain and have the water accumulate in basement or other areas of the house. It can make the flooding situation far worse and will require much more efforts on the flood repair, at the same time bringing in unsanitary conditions.
- Practiceevacuation: If you suspect flooding, evacuation must be planned and practiced, although you might never really use it. The cars or the vehicles of the household must be kept filled and a disaster management drill worked out wherein each member of the family knows what exactly he or she is expected and supposed to be doing in a flooding situation that requires partial or complete evacuation. This preparation must also include a fire situation preparation as well as the training on how to use the various equipment and supplies in the case there is indeed an evacuation scenario.
- Have proper insurance: It is extremely important to have a comprehensive insurance coverage for flood and other natural disasters. The home repair after a flooding situation can be quite extensive and expensive too. In the absence of a well covered insurance, it might become extremely difficult for someone to carry out all the repairs at one go, at the same time the severity of a flood might be such that the house can be rendered unfit to stay without the completion of all the repair works. It is therefore prudent to invest in a comprehensive and well laid out insurance plan that will bear all or almost all costs of expensive repairs that a house might be subjected to, after flood situation. In many countries such there are national flood insurance programs that are run by the government and that insures all the homeowners and renters and business owners against the damages caused by flooding. It is important to evaluate these options and choose the best one that can pay full damages and bear the cost of the repairs.
How to find repair professionals
So, if a situation has arisen where your property has suffered severe damages and requires extensive repairs, how do you go about it? One of the best ways these days is to access the online portals that deal with specifically these kinds of repair services. YouDo is one such site that has professionals and specialists from all domains and has an extensive listing of the same. Whether you require preventive waterproofing of post flood repairs, chances are YouDo will have a list of competent professionals around your neighborhoodthat will be willing and ready to offer their services to you at competitive prices.
One of the main benefits of YouDo is that it also features extensive reviews by the past users of the service and that can be a great reference point towards selecting the repair services that are pertinent to your individual requirements. It also has extensive verification mechanisms that ensure that only the genuine and well-regarded specialists make it to the listing of YouDo so that the end customer can be completely sure of the genuineness of the service providers.